|Pattern:||Bead and Diamonds Purse by Rhelena|
|Yarn:||Sublime Yarns Organic Cotton DK|
|Fabric:||Art Gallery cotton voile|
I wanted to make a fully lined crochet bag in a neutral colour for my Mum, with a zip closure, to replace an old favourite bag of hers that is on its last legs. I chose a cotton yarn for the crochet exterior, and soft cotton voile lining, matching a zip for the top and a smaller zip to use for an interior pocket in the lining. Due to the slightly open nature of the crochet shell, I wanted a soft cotton lining fabric that was double-sided, and this voile fit the bill perfectly.
This bag was my most complex crochet project to date. I faltered a few times after the first couple of rounds, unravelling my stitches to start again as I was misinterpreting the pattern slightly and distorting the base shape – my fault, not the pattern. Once I found my rhythm, the bag worked up easily. I compensated for narrower yarn/smaller hook than the written pattern by increasing the original chain and doing more rounds of the base and sides, to obtain the size I wanted.
I loved the way the pattern crocheted up in a single piece from the base, to make a complete bag with very little finishing to do – simply making and attaching the single handle and sewing in the ends! I found the pattern interesting enough to hold my attention, but not so demanding that it required full focus. The stitches were new to me, but not hard to learn from the instructions given.
With the zip and lining installed, I was pleased with how finished the bag looked. It was completed early in December, but as it is a Christmas gift for my Mum I have held back this post to avoid spoiling the surprise!